Monday, February 6, 2012

Being a missionary

I was thinking about my life today as I drove home from dropping my son off at kindy. I had bumped into another mom on the way out the door and mentioned we were moving to China. She shared a few things with me about the Chinese church over there and it got me thinking.

My husband and I are not going over there to be missionaries. He's going to be teaching Math and Science at an International School.

But I guess no matter where we are in the world, whether it's home in New Zealand or abroad in China, we are missionaries.

And to me that means - loving others, being honest about who I am and what I believe, but not shoving the bible down people's throats. Whoever I come in contact with, I prayer I can impact them in some small way through being the salt of the earth. I always ask God to use me and shine through me.

Is that too weak? Should I be pronouncing my faith from the rooftops?
Sometimes I'm not sure if my subtle approach is exactly what God's looking for, but it does work for me and I hope God will tell me otherwise if I'm getting it wrong.

As you can imagine, I feel a little confused on this subject sometimes, so it was with much delight that I saw my bible verse for the day was...
“Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor.” Proverbs 21:21

I want to live a life that glorifies God, shines his light and touches the world through my actions. In doing that, I'm pursuing righteousness and love... and therefore my life will be what God wants it to be.

What do you think about being a missionary?

1 comment:

  1. I feel much the same as you... but sometimes I wonder if Satan is somehow influencing us and making us feel that way.... What would Jesus do? Well he went out and talked to everyone about God and ate with the damned and talked about God... but he talked in riddles. What that means for us, I'm still trying to work out. But being salt is a really great start!!!!

    ReplyDelete